Experimental equipment and apparatus
Faculty of Physics
X-ray diffractometer HZG4
X-Ray powder diffractometer, Bragg-Bretano geometry, CuKa, AgKa radiation available.
Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM)
Vibration Sample Magnetometer Lake Shore 7300, measurements at temperature range from 20K to 1270K, magnetic fields up to 1.2T.
Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM)
Magnetometer is designed mainly for room temperature studies of magnetization processes in nanostructures.
Carl Zeiss Jenapol microscope with 12-bit MicroMax system with a CCD camera was adopted for high resolution magnetic domain studies with magnetization vectorial analysis using polar and longitudinal Kerr effect. Investigations could be performed as a function of external magnetic field. Additional system enables temperature studies from 10K.
System is designed for measurements of magnetization processes at different configuration of magnetic field using polar and longitudinal Kerr effect with different automatization options: light spot x-y nanostructure surface scanning, sample rotation.
Scanning Probe Microscope STM/AFM/MFM
Two systems of microscopes: Solver HV and Ntegra Prima NT-MDT. For more information seehttp://labfiz.uwb.edu.pl/zfmag/wwwfemto/aparatura.htm
Ferromagnetic resonance spectrometer (FMR)
A high - sensitivity ferromagnetic resonance spectrometer at a microwave frequency of 9.5 GHz.
Mössbauer Spectrometer (setup 1)
Monochromatic circularly polarized source of resonant radiation (filter technique), electromagnetic type transducer - velocity ranges of 57Co source, measurements of absorbers in magnetic fields up to 1.3T (permanent magnets), closed cycle refrigerator covering measurements at temperature range 15-300K and external magnetic fields up to 1T.
Mössbauer Spectrometer (setup 2)
Conversion Electron Mössbauer spectrometric setup, monochromatic circularly polarized source of resonant radiation (filter technique), measurements of near-surface region in scattering geometry at room temperature and external magnetic fields up to 1T.
Compton spectrometer (setup 1)
Spectrometer for measurements of electron momentum density distribution in solids (Compton profiles) with resolution of 0.4 a.u., which operates at 662 keV with gamma source 137Cs of 3 TBq activity. Acquisition system is based on high-purity germanium detector and multichannel analyzer – all EG&G ORTEC apparatus. Details on www page http://physics.uwb.edu.pl/zfcs/compton/
Compton spectrometer (setup 2)
Spectrometer for Compton profiles measurements with resolution of 0.6 a.u., which operates at 60 keV with gamma 241Am radioisotope ring-source of 37 GBq activity. Equipped with helium refrigerator, enables measurements from 30K to room temperature. Details on www page http://physics.uwb.edu.pl/zfcs/compton/
Setup for Hall effect and electrical resistivity measurements
Measurements at temperature range from 40K to 800K and DC magnetic field up to 1.4 T
Femtosecond laser based magneto-optical set-up
System is equipped with Pulse laser MaiTai HP and Optical Parametric Oscillator Opal BB for studies of: magneto-optical spectroscopy, magnetization induced SHG, light-induced magnetic effects, static and dynamics of domain structure.
Computer cluster "Moria"
It is a group of linked computers each equipped with multi-core processors, usually of AMD or Intel company. The cluster is running the Linux Gentoo operating system and, of course, allows the parallel programming. It is used, basically, for investigating the various aspects of dynamics of degenerate atomic gases. A detailed description of cluster “Moria” can be found on the web page: http://labfiz.uwb.edu.pl/main/centrumobliczeniowe.php#dwa http://labfiz.uwb.edu.pl/main/centrumobliczeniowe.php#dwa
The Mikrus Cluster
The Mikrus is a small-size Beowulf-type cluster running Gentoo Linux operating system. Currently it has 8 computing nodes (13 CPU cores) and a front-end machine, acting as a server. Computing nodes come with Intel Pentium 4, Pentium D, and Core 2 Extreme processors, running at speeds from 2.5 to 3.4 GHz. The cluster is dedicated to the analysis of data from gravitational-wave detectors. More details can be found at. http://labfiz.uwb.edu.pl/main/centrumobliczeniowe.php#dwa
Sample technology lines
- High quality arc furnace; tube furnace; powdering, pressing, rolling, annealing devices; sealing in quartz under vacuum or inert gas atmosphere.
- Sputtering station VUP-5M-02 is intended for vacuum deposition of films out of conductive and semi-conducting materials with the use of magnetron sputtering, resistive and electron evaporation methods, as well as for etching the materials in plasma.
Quadrupole spectrometer for analysis of residual gasses, helium leak detector.
Department of Plant Physiology1. Spectrophotometers:
Beckman Coulter Du 730 SpectrophotometerCecil BioQuest CE 2501 Spectrophotometer
Spectrophotometers are suitable for fixed wavelength, wavelength scan, kinetics/time, single component analysis (SCA) applications and models are equipped with software featuring DNA/protein tools and also handles protein assay analysis, nucleic acid analysis, and dye incorporation.
2. Ultracentrifuge, Preparative, Beckman Optima LE
Preparative Ultracentrifuge enables to isolate a high – purity subcellular fractions and protein isolation. Ultracentrifuge allows to select speed (maximum is 80,000 rpm), temperatures (between 0°C and 40°C), time settings, acceleration and deceleration rates.
3. Liquid Scintillation Counter, Wallac Rackbeta 1209
Liquid scintillation counter can measure beta emissions over energy range 1 to 2000 KeV. It count mode selection of present time, counting windows, quench monitor (SQP) and print out selection for 3H, 14C, 35S, 45Ca, 32P, 125I single label and in dual label conditions.
4. Gel electrophoresis systems:
BioRad sub-cell GT agarose gel electrophoresis systems
Hoefer SE 260 mini – vertical gel electrophoresis
Systems are intended for electrophoresis of protein or nucleic acid samples in agarose gels and polyacrylamide gels.
5. Li -Cor 6200 Photosynthesis System
Used for photosynthetic characteristic. It controls CO2 exchange, humidity and temperature in leaf chamber.
6. HansaTech CB1D O2 electrode control box
System for studies of photosynthesis and respiration from gas-phase suspension samples under actinic illumination. The oxygen electrode measures the uptake or production of oxygen by cell suspensions or leaf discs.
7. Sanyo Fitotron Plant Growth Chamber
Chamber where environmental conditions are accurately reproduced and controlled by regulation of light, temperature and humidity.
8. Plant Growth Rooms
Rooms with controlled plants growing conditions with regulation of light, temperature and humidity in a 24hr period with independent selection of photoperiods. Growth area size 15.87 m2.
Department of Microbiology
1. Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis CHEF DR II System (Bio-Rad).
The apparatus used to assess the whole genomic DNA patterns following digestion with restriction enzymes. This is one of the most informative, reliable and effective tool for characterizing bacterial strains and their spread in natural and human made environments.
2. Gel visualisation system Gel-Doc 2000 equipped with computer program Quantity One PC version 4.1.1 program (Bio-Rad).
A high quality resolution gel documentation system used to detect nucleic acids and proteins, also in densitometry and colony counting.
3. Automated Microplate Reader (LAMBDA MWGAG Biotech).
A single-channel reader-assay system for in-vitro diagnostic based on enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) protocol. The reader can measure the optical density of solutions of biological samples (serum, urine and tissues fluids) to estimate an amount of (i) specific antibodies, (ii) anti- and pro-inflammatory cytokines, (iii) antioxidants (iv) and stress hormones.
Department of Hydrobiology
Beckman DU 730 Spectrophotometer - working in lab
2. Nitrogen Kjeltec 2300 Analyzer Foss Tecator
3. Total Organic Carbon analyzer Shmiadzu 5050A - measurement of carbon different forms in water solution – DIC, TOC, DOC.
4. HPLC equipment with UV Beckman and conductometry detector of Metrohm
5. Portable multiparameter sonde - 3 types of sonde with possibilities detection of EC, pH, oxygen and oxygen water saturation in range 0.5- 50m depth
6. Portable fluorometer with chlorophyll a detection – sonde- operates in depth 0,5-20m
7. Motor boat with some apparatus to water, bottom sediment and freshwater organisms samplers
8. Automaticmeteorological station with detection 7 parameters – work with presentation on line in Bialystok ( www: meteo.uwb.edu.pl)
9. Epifluorescence microscope with image analysis for automatic measurement of bacteria density in samples,
Department of Plant Biochemistry and Toxicology
UV-VIS Spectrophotometer T-60
Shimadzu UV-1201 UV/Vis Spectrophotometer
Laminar Flow-box KL01
- Automated DNA sequencer ABI3130 enables DNA sequencing, microsatellite, AFLP, SSCP, SNP and other molecular biology analyses. It is equipped with a computes and installed several software for data collection and analyses.
- DNA theromocyclers (N = 3, Applied Biosystems and Biometra) allow successful PCR reaction for DNA amplification and DNA sequencing reaction in small volumes starting from 5 microliters with high cooling and heating rates (up to 5°C/sec).
- UV transilluminator for visualization of PCR products (e.g. DNA bands)
- Horizontal agarose gel system (Sigma-Aldrich) for performing agarose electrophoresis to control PCR products.
- Laminar flow cabinet for dealing with difficult DNA samples (e.g. samples of a very bad quality).
- Ultrafreezer (up to -80°C) for storage of samples.
- Bioblock for sample incubation with shaking for DNA isolation.
- Centrifuges (Eppendorf, up to 16 000rpm) for DNA handling and purification. Different types of rotors enable 1.5ml tubes centrifugation as well 0.2ml PCR strips and 2x 96 well plates (0.2ml).
- Several vortexes for DNA handling and preparation.
- GPS (Garmin and others) for sample positioning.
- Several optical microscopes for small insects identification and preparation.
- CO2 incubator Lab-line
- Laminar flow cabinet Esco AC2-4A1
- Microbalance Sartorius 708501
- Fluorescence microscope Olympus
- Several optical microscopes
- Biological oxygen monitor YSI 5300A
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer Beckman DU640
- Centrifuge Hermle Z36HK
- Fluorescence microscope Olympus BX41
- Fluorescence microscope Nikon
- Several optical microscopes
- Atomic absorption spectrophotometer AAS-3 Carl Zeiss
- Several optical microscopes